You’ve seen them in the motocross world, and they’re becoming more popular in the mountain bike world. They’re light, they’re strong, and they don’t break the bank. But are dirt bikes plastics universal? In this blog post, we’ll explore the advantages and disadvantages of using plastics on dirt bikes. We’ll also take a look at some of the most popular plastic products on the market and see how they compare to each other.
What are dirt bikes?
Dirt bikes are motorcycles designed for off-road riding on rough terrain. They typically have knobby tires, long travel suspension, and a powerful engine for tackling tough trails. Dirt bikes come in many different sizes and styles to suit the rider’s needs, and they can be used for racing, recreation, or both.
What plastics are used on dirt bikes?
The plastics used on dirt bikes can vary depending on the manufacturer. Some common plastics used are polypropylene, polyethylene, and PVC. Each of these plastics has different properties that make them well suited for different applications on dirt bikes. Polypropylene is a strong, lightweight plastic that is often used for body panels and fuel tanks. Polyethylene is a durable plastic that is often used for fenders and mudguards. PVC is a flexible plastic that is often used for pipes and tubing.
Are all plastics universal?
Polyethylene terephthalate, or PET, is the most common plastic in the world. It’s used in water bottles, food containers, and many other packaging applications. PET is strong and lightweight, making it ideal for these uses. However, not all plastics are universal. Different types of plastics have different properties that make them better suited for specific applications. For example, polypropylene is a softer plastic that’s often used in food packaging because it’s easy to mold and print on.
What is the best plastic for a dirt bike?
There is no definitive answer when it comes to what is the best plastic for a dirt bike. Depending on the terrain you ride on and your personal preferences, different plastics may work better for you. Some riders prefer softer plastics that offer more grip, while others prefer harder plastics that are more durable. Ultimately, it is up to you to experiment with different types of plastics to see what works best for you and your riding style.
How to change plastics on a dirt bike
When it comes to dirt bikes, the plastics are not universal. This means that if you want to change the plastics on your dirt bike, you will need to purchase a kit specifically for your make and model. While this may seem like a hassle, it is actually quite easy to do and can be completed in a few simple steps.
1. Begin by removing all of the old plastics from your dirt bike. This includes the gas tank, fenders, side panels, and any other pieces that are attached to the frame.
2. Once all of the old plastics have been removed, you will need to clean the surface of the frame where the new plastics will be applied. Be sure to use a mild soap and water solution so that you do not damage the paint or finish on your bike frame.
3. Next, apply a thin layer of plastic adhesive to the areas of the frame where the new plastics will be applied. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for best results.
4. Now it’s time to apply the new plastics! Simply line up the pieces with the adhesive already on the frame and press them into place. Be sure to smooth out any air bubbles that may form so that everything lays flat against the frame.
5. Allow ample time for the adhesive to dry completely before taking your dirt bike out for a ride!
In short, yes dirt bike plastics are universal. With a few exceptions, most brands’ plastics will fit on another brand’s frame with little to no modification. This is good news for riders who want to change the look of their bike or who need to replace damaged plastics. While it’s always best to buy OEM parts from your dirt bike’s manufacturer, knowing that aftermarket options are available is reassuring.